Paper Mind Maps vs. Computer Mind Maps
Computer Mind Mapping is a great alternative to pen and paper mind mapping.
Here are some advantages of computer mind maps:
- You can add "text notes" to each branch, thus combining the advantages of mind maps and conventional text.
- You don't have to worry about layout.
- There are (almost) no space limitations - you will not reach the edge of your writing paper.
- Your maps are orderly and legible.
- It's easy to add, remove or move branches.
- Most mind mapping programs allow to export the map into different formats - plain text, formatted text, HTML, JPEG, and so on.
One of the disadvantages of computer mind maps, is that printing large maps can be difficult on standard sized office paper.
Locally Installed Computer Mind Mapping Programs
- FreeMind is free software.
- PersonalBrain is proprietary software.
- You may want to search the internet for commercial mind mapping software. In many cases, these offer more powerful options for manipulating and exporting maps.
Online Computer Mind Mapping Programs
Online mind mapping programs give you the flexibility of updating your mind map whenever you are near a computer. The year 2007 saw a rise of online mind mapping pages on the internet. Here are some examples: