German-style games are board games either published in Germany or very similar in style to those published in Germany.
The elements of this style include many of the following:
- Multi-player, typically 3 to 6
- Game durations of 30-90 minutes
- Rules that take 5-15 minutes to explain
- Player interaction instead of waiting doing nothing while others take turns
- Excellent production values, i.e., visually pleasing and durable components
- A satisfying balance of strategy and luck
For more information, see the page that I cribbed most of this from, http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~debbiep/billabong/german.html.
The German Games FAQ is also good.--IainCheyne?