Re: New rules draft

>    Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 13:59:38 -0000
>    From: dboyle@...
> Subject: New rules draft
>
> Turn all the coins so that their suit side is showing.  The each
> player picks one suit and takes a number of coins of that suit
> based on the number of people playing:
>
> 2 players - 6 coins apiece
> 3 players - 5 coins apience
> 4 players - 4 coins apiece

   Could go with even more players if you used the number sides, and
give each player a number.  If you did, though, you would probably want
to go with a bigger board so the players could have more pieces
(otherwise a player could be out of the game before they even got a
turn).  For example, a 3 tile by 2 tile board (because, well, does the
board really need to be square?) would allow 6 players, each with 4
pieces.

> We also found it helpful for each player to put the pawn that
> matches the color of their suit in front of them, as a reminder to
> them and the other players during the game of which suit they
> were playing.

   If you decided to include options for 5 or 6 players, you could mark
who is who with unused tiles.

> First player is determined by long jump contest (just kidding,
> don't have a rule for this yet).

   How about just rolling for it?

> Starting with the first player and proceeding clockwise around
> the board, each player in turn places one of their coings on the
> board in an empty square.  The coin is placed suit side up, with
> the direction indicator pointing either to a side or a corner of the
> square, indicating the type of the piece (see below).  This
> continues until all players have placed all their pieces.

   I suggest that all "rook" pieces point toward the same side of the
board and that all "bishop" pieces point to the same corner.  Even
better if these are near opposite.  For example, if all rooks point
toward nine o'clock, all bishops could point toward one thirty.  This
would help keep all players clear on the nature of each piece.

> Pieces move in a straight line, and stop if they hit a wall

   Just a wording suggestion:  "edge of board" instead of "wall"?

> If your move does not result in the capture of another player's
> piece, then you must remove one of your own from the board.
> This piece is discarded, and does not count for anyone when
> scoring at the end of the game.

   I like that this is an option, and that you are not strictly
required
to capture.

> Play proceeds until there are no coins left of the board.

   Maybe last piece on the board could score a point for its owner?  A
nice bonus for last survivor?

   The game played pretty clean, Dave.  I look forward to posting your
final write-up.

--James