Re: Piecepack Pyramids

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 02:47:05PM -0700, misuba wrote:
> Therefore the Piecepack Pyramids effort has no moral high ground to
> claim. It is simply a slightly differing reimplementation of someone
> else's idea, adding nothing to the intellectual commons that wasn't
> already there. There is nothing infringing or illegal about them,
> however; I wish them exactly as much market success as they deserve.

I'm glad you think piecepack pyramids don't infringe.  I don't think
they do either, but Andy says he thinks it's "debatable" (at least
publicly).  As for their being a "reimplementation of someone else's
idea", I assume you mean they are a reimplementation of the stackable
pyramids in Pyramidis, just as Icehouse is.

As for their "adding nothing to the intellectual commons that wasn't
already there", I can't agree.  Since they have a suit symbol on one
side, they are directional even when standing up, unlike Icehouse
pyramids, and they can hide their suit (analogous to the attribute of
colour in the Icehouse set) by laying them flat on their suit side,
another thing Icehouse pyramids cannot do.  If Tim Schutz ever
produces a new version of them, I am going to recommend that he make
it so that the suit symbol will be hidden when the pieces are stacked.
That would make three things Icehouse pyramids can't do.

Ron H-E

--
         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,