Re: Silver Isle & Hanging Gardens Rules Questions

--- In piecepack@y..., "arealgamenut" <lightwriter4x5@h...> wrote:

> The following questions concern Silver Isle:
>
> 1. If a port successfully attacks a ship, or a ship successfully
> attacks a port or another ship, does the victor obtain all silver
> on the defeated ship or port?

No.  Silver on a defeated ship will sink with the ship.  Silver on a
defeated port will sit on the port as unprotected silver (and can be
picked up by the ship or an adjacent crew for one action per silver).

> 2. The rules state that ports and ships may attack crews, but may
> crews initiate attacks against ports and ships?

No.

> 3. If a crew wins an attack against a ship, what happens to the
> silver in excess of the one that can be carried?

It sinks with the ship.

> 4. A mine's value is determined "by counting the smallest number of
> moves a crew would need to move on foot from the mine's space to
> the port of matching color." Does this refer to the port whose
> color matches the color of the crew or the color of the owner of
> the mine?

Check the distance between the mine and the port that matches the
mine's color.

> 5. I assume that if a crew wins an attack against another crew, and
> both carry silver, the silver that the defeated crew carries is
> left behind in the same space as the defeated crew and can be later
> claimed as unprotected silver. Is this correct?

Correct.

> 6. The rules state that up to 24 tokens are needed to represent
> silver, but since up to 4 can play, and the maximum a mine can
> produce on a die of 0-5 is 5, shouldn't the maximum amount required
> be 20, or am I misunderstanding the game's mining process?

Doh!  Math is hard... let's go shopping.  Max of 20 needed would be
correct.

> The following question concerns Hanging Gardens:
> 1. The rules state "for purposes of symmetry, blank spaces are
> equivalent to empty table (where no terrace exists)." Does this
> mean there is no distintion between them? Thus, for example, a row
> of blue, blank space, empty table the size of 1 blank space,
> another area of empty table the size of 1 blank space, and blue,
> would be considered symmetrical, with the first blank table space
> lying on the point of reflection, scoring 1 for color plus 2 for
> symmetry?

Correct.  Another (perhaps clearer) way to state the test for
symmetry would be to only consider coin color and distance between
coins.

I believe 3c under Scoring should be clarified as well.  Originally,
I intended that beds on separate plateaus could not be considered
symmetrical with each other, but I think the rule regarding empty
space would be more consistent if this were allowed.

> Thanks in advance for all your help.

Thank you very much for the excellent questions.  I have been meaning
for some time to go back and clean up my older rulesets (which are
still marked as being in beta) to make clarifications and add
diagrams.  Questions like yours will help tremendously.

Much Thanks,
James