Re: A Piecepack 'Stash'

<SNIP>

> Anyhow, my Idea is simply this, Create a Piecepack

> Stash. Simply put, a "set" that is 1/4 a standard PP. But, at the

> same time, leave the face blank, so that the player can customize

> his stash with his own design or perhaps logo. Many people will see

> this and ask "Why?" well I think the customizeable aspect speaks
for

> it self.

Unfortunately, piecepack requires that certain things be true for
instance, the backs of all of the tiles should look exactly the same,
the ranks on the coins need to be exactly the same, etc. etc.
Otherwise it would be like asking everyone to grab a suit of cards
from home, and we will play bridge. It will only work if everyone
brings a different suit, and if they all have the same backs, and
they
all have exactly 1 card of each rank and the ranks are exactly
Ace,2-10,J,Q,K.  The point of piecepack is to have a spec for what
goes in it. That way you can play any of the games already available
and with any set that claims to be a piecepack.

That said, there IS a lot of room for personal taste, and there have
been discussions about "tweaking" the spec to fufill individual
needs.
I am the creator of the JCD piecepack (available in the files
section)
and I have "tweaked" a little, though mostly expanded on, the spec to
fit my own tastes. I created the design on the computer, and then
printed it out onto transparent labels, stuck them on to the wooden
bits available at a craft store, and vola, I have my own piecepack
set! I am very happy with the results, and am now enjoying tons of
the
great games that this community has been creating. I then created 4
more suits, the 4 traditional card suits even though at this point
not
many games out there actually make use of 8 different suits, because
well, most people don't have 8 suits.

The spec for the piecepack was created, I believe, with simple and
inexpensive construction in mind. All of the bits you can source from
a local craft store or from one online. So, if you are wanting to
create a custom one or if you are trying to save some cash, you can
simply buy the bits and go to town. I encourage you to try this. It
is
a great feeling to see your own custom design come off the paper and
start playing with it. I would encourage you to put your design
online
if you do create one.

> True there are no games that use 1/4th of piecepack, but if

> we have near 60 PP games as it is now, Im sure we can create 1/10th

> of this (6) games and if it is indeed a profitable endavour, will

> justify 5-7 dollars. Oh well, just an Idea I had, if anyone else

> shares this sentiment, let me know. As I said before, I am still a

> newbie to PP and Icehouse.. but I KNOW that I have found a sure

> Winner.

Although I doubt that individual suits or "stashes" of piecepack will
be sold any time soon, there is nothing stopping anyone from creating
games that work on the concept that each person is assigned their own
suit. (I'm pretty sure there already some out there) Go to town.
Start
a revolution. Create a bunch of games that only use 1/4 or 1/2 of a
piecepack set. Refer to each 1/4 as a "stash" in your rules. IF your
idea is great, and the games are great then you may just be able to
buy individual suits of piecepack someday.

Keep in mind that you still can't buy 1/4 of a deck of cards and if
you could, most would still not be interested, because it limits the
possibilities too much given the thousands of games that you can play
with a deck of cards.