Feedback to Authors

I have received a number of requests from authors, taking me up on my
offer to provide feedback to them about their games. I just want to
let those authors know that I will get back to them soon but not
immediately in all cases due to time constraints. I don't want anyone
to think I'm forgetting or ignoring them. I took notes while we
played the games, noting things we liked as well as problems we found
and suggestions that came up.

I should mention something about how the judging worked. In some
cases we noticed aspects of games that seemed non-optimum or not
quite dialed in yet and often, ideas for "fixes" would be voiced. I
determined that we would not play the games with any changes from the
rules as submitted; I felt that my job was to judge the games when
played according to the author's rules. Now that the contest is over
however, comments that I feed to authors may contain ideas that
surfaced during playing of the games.

Judging games could imply different things to different people. Some
may feel that how much fun the game is to play is the most important
thing while others may feel that how well the game mechanics work or
how much logical thinking is required are most important or that the
judge should sort of pretend that he is a game marketing guy and
should attempt to determine which game would have the broadest appeal
within the target group of game players. My criteria was ultimately
just based largely on which games I liked most. That's what I
promised to do in the original contest rules.

It has been great fun (but also a lot of work at times because I was
determined to give each game a goodly amount of play) to play all
these new games and see the new ideas the authors tried.

I was surprised, but pleasantly so, by the high quantity of games
submitted, and the generally high quality, and hopefully later
contests will also garner lots of entries. I'm already looking
forward to designing a game for the next contest. Thanks again to all
who participated.

-Mike