Re: [piecepack] Re: [SR] Seattle Cosmic Game Night, 12 April 2003 (piecepack interest)

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 02:22:58PM -0000, James K Droscha wrote:
> --- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@l...> wrote:
> >
> > Of special piecepack interest is the report on James Kyle's game,
> San
> > Andreas.  If this is all you are interested in, you can visit this
> > page, which contains a slightly edited version:
> >
> >   http://www.ludism.org/scwiki/San_20Andreas
>
> Hey, thanks for trying out San Andreas.  Regarding the slipping of
> tiles... I had not considered this problem until well after the rules
> had been written, and it must be very frustrating (as you indicate in
> your session report).  The piecepack we still play with at the
> Roundhouse is the first one I built that matches the published
> specifications (so you could call it the final piecepack prototype).
> It is fairly similar to a Mesomorph set with one significant
> difference... it does not have Karol's lovingly applied layers of
> varnish.  Thus, the tectonic slippage was deceptively insignificant
> throughout the San Andreas playtesting.
>
> An amusing side note:  San Andreas was originally concieved as a
> dexterity game.  The 24th tile, which is not used in the current
> ruleset, was flicked by players toward the map of California in an
> attempt to knock rival cities into the ocean.  It was nuts.

Interesting, James.  I don't think the slippage problem would have
been so bad, even with a Mesomorph set (which is indeed what we were
using), if we were playing on a rougher surface.  The table we were
playing on was some kind of polished rock, and it may have been
varnished too.  Playing on a standard vinyl-topped card table probably
would have taken care of most of the slippage.  However, I do have a
homemade cardboard set in which the tiles are only a little thinner
than a wooden set, and the next time we play San Andreas, I am going
to recommend we use it.

Thanks for your response.  Do you mind if I paste our exchange into
the Wiki?

       Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
	 Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
Kennexions Glass Bead Game & Positive Revolution FAQ: http://www.ludism.org/