Re: [piecepack] Re: Is PP really that ZOG friendly?

Ron Hale-Evans wrote:

Wow, Massimo, you implemented Easy Slider?  Thanks!  Would you please
upload it to the Files section, or at least email it to me?  I have
Zillions, and as co-designer of Easy Slider, I would like to give your
implementation a try.  Is it solitaire-only or does it support
multi-player play?

It's solitaire-only. If you're really interested I will email it to you
on Thursday (it's in my PC at home and I'll be back at home wednesday night).
Mind you, it's a bit rough: I did it just as an exercise in Zillions
programming, and when I had a working implementation I didn't bother to
polish it up.

These are the main points that in my opinion make difficult to implement
PP games in ZOG (to be played against AI and without custom engines)

1) Of course the "hidden information" problem. In some cases there are
workarounds even for playing against AI.

I am a computer programmer, and I really don't understand what the
problem is with hidden information in games.  Computers are infinitely
flexible; if you don't want the computer to take into account the suit
of a coin (say), you tell it to examine the value only, and not the
suit.  What's the big deal?  Granted, I haven't done a lot of games
programming, but this problem seems to me to be trivial.

Computers are infinitely flexible indeed, but Zillions is not.
The nice thing in ZOG is that you don't have to implement the AI code.
You just describe the game mechanics (and graphics) and ZOG universal
engine takes care of the rest. It's able to figure out by itself how
to play. This is very cool but the reverse of the medal is that you
can't influence the AI. There is no way to hide anything to ZOG
engine: whatever you need in the game, you have to describe it in
the zrf file, thus making it available to the AI engine.
Actually, as I mentioned in my mail, there is a way: bypass the
universal engine and implement your own custom engine. In this
way you can do whatever you want, but this spoils the main advantage
of Zillions.

Ciao,
Massimo Biasotto