Re: [piecepack] Re: New City - question for Rob

It turned out to be mostly a flavour thing, but really stems from an early
version of the rules in which a few tiles produced no gold, so that it was
possible to bid on a tile and not earn anything at the end of the round.
The version of New City on the site is quite different from the first
version.  (But some themes carried over from version to version)

I think the most interesting change was that, in the original rules, there
were only 2 city improvements; the "3" and the "5" coin (used in the 3rd and
5th round to score you 3 or 5 times the tile it was placed on)   The other
coins 0, 1, 2, 4 created all possible bids from 0 to 7 and the bidding
mechanism was to hide your bid in your hands (the original goal was to make
bidding quick) with everyone revealing bids all at once.  This produced some
interesting resuts. (With one player bidding 7 for a tile, while everyone
else bid either 0 or 1), but eventually, I felt it more interesting to use
the coins to create more city improvements.

There you go.  A completely useless bit of trivia. :)

While I have your attention, I've gotten a few submissions in already and I
love the background info that people have sent in with the games.  There's
some imaginative minds out there!

Now, if we could only get the announcement of the contest posted on the
piecepack homepage... :)

Rob.