Re: [piecepack] Announcing the winner!!

Rob LeGood wrote:
Hi everyone,

The moment is at hand, the winner of the "History Repeats Itself"
> contest is about to be announced.  I'm sending this to the main list
> without knowing the author's names, so I'm hoping that Karol will
> send a follow up email announcing the actual winning names.

The winner of the 4th piecepack contest is "Pharoh's Heir",

First off, let me congratulate the author of "Pharoh's Heir" on winning
the contest.

The runner up is a very enjoyable racing game called "Chariots". This
> is a beer and pretzels games with some interesting mechanisms.
> Movement resolution is inspired by the Starfleet Battles method
> of movement of dividing turns into "Impulses".  If you've never
> seen this, read the rules and you'll see what I mean. It's quick
> to learn and fun to play and had the group asking to play more
> once it was over.  For me, what kept it out of first place was
> that it quite didn't go far enough.  During each lap you get two
> special actions to use which are Chariot racing themed.  I would
> have loved to seen more of these.   Basically, it felt like you
> could put any theme on this game and it would still be the same
> game.  I would have liked to see more special actions added to
> the game to make it feel more Chariot like.  I strongly recommend
> the author to take the game away and expand it.  You have a potential
> sleeper hit on your hands!  Good job!

Thanks for the kind words on my game "Chariots".  I had originally
wanted to theme the game on the original Greek Olympics.  This was
only part of the game (the running part); I had planned on having
some other events (long jump, wrestling, weight lifting, discus, etc.)
but ran out of design time and playtest time.  So I re-themed the part
I had working as chariot racing.  I actually think the game mechanisms
work better as chariots then as a foot race.  Yes, it needs more special
actions, especially an optional expansion set that adds all those combat
actions that we expect in a chariot race (like whipping the other drivers or horses, running chariots in to the rail for crashes, etc),
but again I ran out of time and couldn't play test any of them.
Although I do have the problem that there aren't more coins and so will
need a new method of denoting special actions.

--
mark@...
mark.a.biggar@...