Re: [piecepack] Re: Rules Variants Clarification

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Benedict
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 4:33 PM
  Subject: [piecepack] Re: Rules Variants Clarification

  >Hi

  >I managed to find some net time. . .

  >Sorry about the confusion, Mike, I should have been clearer.

  >I think that as far as judging games goes, the variants cause
  >problems with taking up a lot of time to play through.

  >For example, say game A has no variants, and game B had 6
  >variants.  I decide that a certain number of playings will give me a
  >feel for the game, say 10 times.  I doubt I would have time to play
  >game B 60 times. I also am not sure this would be fair to game
  >A, either (which I probably wouldn't want to have to also play 60
  >times).

  >I think setting difficulty might be better laid out as 'basic'
  >'intermediate' and 'advanced' parts of the rules, to make it clear
  >that they alter difficulty level in some sort of progression (if that is
  >indeed the case).

  >Any suggestions on how to handle this potential problem from
  >anyone, but from past judges in particular?

  OK, I understand, and I agree with your suggestion to include rules for altering the game difficulty level (assuming the author wishes to accomodate this) within the normal body of the rules, and clearly indicate how it works. This would be prefereable to listing a seperate "variants" paragraph at the end of the rules-set. I would also suggest that the difficulty levels be quantified in a manner that is applicable (game length, or ease of winning, as the case may be). Then the play-testers can intelligently choose which level they feel will suit their tastes.

  Just to be clear, I still feel that games can have variants, and that these are appropriately listed seperately from the main bodies of the rules-sets, but in the case of minor alterations in solitaire games, designed specifically to vary the difficulty level, I like the idea of including them within the normal rules, and in being very clear about what they do to the game.

  -Mike Schoessow