RE: [piecepack] Re: Let's nip this problem in the bud.

 > > a fairly uncommon (in terms of popularity) dice concept is now
 > > before the community.

 > The first time I encountered this mechanic was in a book of mazes
 > (published in the 80s) which included a couple "dice mazes" where the
 > player "walks" a die around a printed grid of die faces.  Pretty cool.

 There is also the game Duell (1976) by parker brothers, Lakeside, and
Schmidt Spiele (Tactix)
that uses the rotating/walking dice movement.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=2409

 Shogun uses, not dice but tiles with magnetic discs that rotate when you
move them on the board,
same effect, but different medium.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=2043

The series of diceland - Deep White Sea, also has a tipping mechanism, where
you try to tip
over your opponents dice to change there value.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=3339

If indeed a new mechanic comes around, I don't think anyone will have to
claim it.  Peers will
make sure they find out who 'invented' it, or find something similar that
was thought of before.
I don't think recognition in the game designing industry is going to be from
discovering a new
mechanic, but from using any mechanic ingeniously.

This being said, I personally think any mechanic can be made new by
revisiting it and putting
it into a new perspective.
eg.  Roll and Move
now becomes Move and Roll (let your tickers run wild)

Cheers,
Jeph Stahl
Great Lake Gamers