Re: Chess with a piecepack

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A. Biggar"
<mark.a.biggar@c...> wrote:
> Ron Hale-Evans wrote:
>
> > I just put up a page on the Piecepack Wiki called "Playing Chess
with
> > a Piecepack and 88 Cents of Pocket Change":

> Actually you can play (if in a very inconvenient way) using only a
> piecepack.  Counting all 24 coins and the 4 pawns and the 4 dice,
you
> have enough pieces (32) to play chess.  Use the dice as rooks
showing
> the aces (red and black on one side, blue and green on the other),

I had the idea of a chess variant in the back of my mind for
piecepack and never fully developed it.  I like the concept in shogi
of flipping over a piece to promote it, and used the coins to this
end. All of the "face" coins move one way, and then the "value"
coins move individually.  I was going to call the game "Mess".
Perhaps I can flesh it out later in the future. But, I have half of
my games already not released yet. One of these games being a
Wargame that echoes Stratego. And Pawnopoly and as of late Camels
Quest needs re-edits. And then again, I should re-playtest my
entries for the next comp.

I love chess, and everything fairy chess is just icing on the cake.
The "Piecelopedia" on the Chess Variants pages is a godsend.  If the
Piecepack with its moveable tiles (read board sections) is a great
concept, having fairy pieces in a piecepack game would only
accelerate this concept.