Re: [piecepack] Design contest question

> For the piecepack design contest, whose deadline is next month, are we
> allowed to submit games that are similar to pre-existing games? If
> not, how similar is "similar"?

(This is the MG piecepack design contest, for those of you keeping score at
home.  Not to be confused with the upcoming 7th Piecepack Design Contest to
be judged by the winners of the Group Projects design contest.)

I think I would be mightily impressed if you could submit a game that wasn't
similar to any game that has existed to date.  As for how similar, well that
is hard to quantify.  If it's an existing game with a superficial theme
tacked on, or terminology changed to match the piecepack pieces and no other
differences, then that's not going to work.  Beyond that, I guess it's a
subjective call on my part.  This is known as the "I'll know it when I see
it" defense.

If you are really worried about it, you could submit the game early and just
ask if it would be considered original enough.  If you are going to do that,
remember not to send the game directly to me (blind judging and all that).
See the MG website for contest details, including how to submit your games.