Re: [piecepack] Anonymity, definition of standard piecepack equipment, and my work is worth nothing!

Whoa! Hold on, Jonathan! It's going to take me a while to address all
of your issues, but the short answer is I consider a JCD Piecepack to
be standard equipment. I deliberately left the definition of "standard
equipment" to be open-ended: "they must be photos of standard
piecepack equipment, SUCH AS the Mesomorph editions or the printable
versions of the same available from Piecepack.org" (emphasis mine).

I now regret not making the validity of JCD Piecepacks more explicit;
I just figured people could email The Eradicator if they had questions
about whether a given piece of equipment was considered "standard".

In fact, I would encourage _more_ people to use JCD Piecepacks if they
have them, because (1) they look awesome in black and white (Anonymity
Rule 6) and (2) they'll all provide camouflage for each other.

I hope that helps in the short run. I'll have the long answer after I
take a shower and get something to eat.

Best wishes,

Ron

On 9/4/06, Porter235 <porter235@...> wrote:
On Monday 04 September 2006 02:13, Ron Hale-Evans wrote:
> ### Anonymity ###
>
> As I've become familiar with the work of the designers in the
> piecepack community, I've learned to tell some people's games a
> light-year away because of their graphic design, clip art, writing
> style, and so on. Because of this phenomenon, true anonymity has been
> hard to achieve. I'd like to try some new procedures in this contest
> that I hope will help alleviate these problems.
>
> 4. **Ports Illustrated**: Illustrations are optional, but if you use
>    them, they _must_ be _photos of standard piecepack equipment_, such
>    as the Mesomorph editions or the printable versions of the same
>    available from [Piecepack.org][3]. In the contest version of your
>    game, you may not use line art or one of the several sets of
>    piecepack clip art available.  You _may_ replace the photos with
>    clip art in the final version.
>
> 6. Make sure your photos look good in black and white, since they will
>    probably be printed that way.

OK. I understand the spirit with which these rules were created but I am
personally very hurt by their inclusion in the ruleset.

I am someone who has spent an unbelievable number of hours designing a
complete set of piecepack graphics for 8 suits in a style that is
specifically designed for black and white printing! I have made all of those
files available to the community. I have made a font available to the
community to make it easy to include said style in their game designs. (Not
to mention that I am in the process of creating another 4 suits in the same
style!)

I have spent HUGE numbers of hours building multiple real life sets using said
style.

I have spent hours upon hours creating a VASSAL module for piecepack that
makes it possible to play piecepack games ONLINE, and very easy to create
screenshots of board positions.

I have spent hours makin' my games pretty, which, last time I checked, is a
part of what makes games enjoyable and attractive, and now I am told I can't!

You have now defined Mesomorph as the "standard piecepack equipment" which I
do not own, and I believe goes completely against the spirit of the original
piecepack design, which was only a spec. (Not to mention that although I
think the Mesomorph sets look extremly well produced, I do not like the style
of them at all)

Also worth note is neither this nor any other contest in the past has
mentioned that you can not submit a game that you have already released to
piecepack.org... My game Triactor is a good match for this competition, and
even if I do reformat the rules to meet your requirements you will still know
it was mine, because you have seen it already!

Also you mention "writing-style" as one of the things that make someone
identifiable. How are you dealing with this?

I understand that I may be sounding like a wounded puppy, but I take great
pride in making my rulesets look GOOD, and I have spent tons of time trying
to help everyone be able to make theirs look good too. I feel like it is
vital in some cases to help create the theme and mood given that the
piecepack is so abstract.

If I am going to compete in this competition, I will either have to spend $$$
to get a "standard" piecepack, or spend hours and hours more creating yet
another set, which will not look right with the sets I already have spent
tons of time creating.

AAAArrrg!

Yahoo! Groups Links

--