Re: Blue Panther JCD piecepacks: some notes

On the birch Piecepack sets, the birch receives a satin polyurethane coat BEFORE it is laser engraved. On occasion, parts might be "sticky", but wiping them with a damp (not soaking) paper towel or rag will remove the "stickiness" especially off the areas of the birch that were not engraved. Before you put another coat of polyurethane on it, try this first, or else you will end up with a "sticky" part for a longer period of time. Another note - we use a water based polyurethane, so using an oil based polyurethane may not get you the best results. Use any water-based polyurethane instead. They dry quickly. "Stickiness" does not appear to be a problem on the oak sets - you should be able to put a coat of polyurethane over them without a problem.
Steve Jones
Blue Panther LLC M. Hale-Evans writes:

All in all, a fabulous couple of sets, and another step forward
into the mainstream for the piecepack.

Yay!

With the exception of the sealant*, I think it's the most
"shelf-ready" piecepack I've seen.  The design and presentation are
attractive and polished enough that it really wouldn't seem out of
place in a shop, and would probably attract attention at a retail
outlet.

Marty
* I'd prefer a brush-on satin finish polyurethane finish that dries
hard, clear, and non-sticky, and if I end up buying a set, that's what
I'll probably do. I realize that it's a bit labor-intensive, though.
--
Marty Hale-Evans marty@... Seattle WA, USA