Re: [piecepack] Suggestion for future design contests.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:17:25AM +0100, Jorge Arroyo wrote:
> Hi
>
>   Ron, I sent you an email about the feedback.
>
>   About the contests, I think that although the way the contests work now is
> nice in theory, it's not working well enough. It's been about a year and a
> half since the last contest started, and I think we need more contests to
> stimulate the creation of piecepack games. If we look at the Icehouse
> community, there's a Summer contest and a Winter contest. There are no
> prices and the organizer only handles the task of informing people and
> counting the votes, as the task of judging the games falls on the community.

Yes I would agree that we need at least one contest per year.  But more
importantly we need to see all of the games submitted as well.
Personally I would like to see the raw submitted version as well as
the polished version after judging.  If the polished game isn't
available then the raw submitted version should be published anyway.

We still cannot see some of the games submitted for the Good Portmanship
competition (one I would be interested in seeing in particular).  If the
game rules do not become visible to all then it doesn't help the community
much.  To make this happen I would make it a rule of the competition
that the games as submitted will be published to the wiki although the
author may replace them with a more polished version after judging.

Personally, I didn't get my Piecepack set until to late for that
competition.  I will try to design a game for the next one depending on
work pressures.

--
Andy Leighton => andyl@...
   - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_