BERLIN - Questions

Hi, all.  Back again. :)

I have a question about the game BERLIN.

(1) If you move another player's "hammer" to a spot on the "Wall" that
matches the number on your die throw, do you collect that spot and
roll again?

(2) Do you only pick up pieces of the wall that match the suit of YOUR
hammer and only when YOU move your hammer?

(3) If #2 is correct, then why would anyone ever move someone else's
hammer?

We're been playing that if you land on a spot that matches the number
on your die roll (no matter the color hammer you move) then you get to
pick up the piece of the wall.  If you move a hammer of the same suit
as the die roll and manage to land on a match, you get to go again.

I am pretty sure this is not an official variant, but it's the way it
made sense to us to play.

Thanks!