Re: Is Yahoo piecepack group closed to new members?

Hello Everyone,

Daniel, thank you for bringing the Reddit post to our attention.  (I don't have a Reddit account.)

For those wondering, yes this group is still active, and has been moderated for over a decade by two volunteers:  myself, and the saintly Ed.  Ed has been helpful and dutiful, while I have been a complete slacker.  (Thank you, Ed!)  If you need someone to blame for any shortcomings in moderation, please feel free to point your finger at me.

I almost never get administrative notifications from Yahoo.  I don't know where the failure is in the chain, but it means that to exercise diligence, I would need to log into Yahoo daily.  I, um, don't do that.

Additionally, the Yahoo site has gradually become painful for me to use.  And with their recent security breach, well...  I am open to either forum migration and/or additional moderation volunteers.  (How are you holding up, Ed?  OK for another decade or so?  I wonder how many beers I owe you already.)

Over the years, as Yahoo waned in popularity, and as other forums became available, the relatively low volume of piecepack conversations were diluted further by getting spread across those various forums.  A little here on Yahoo, a little on BGG, a very little on Reddit, and a few others.  The net effect is that each forum receives only a trickle, preventing critical mass in a focused location.  This can also cause confusion for those new to the piecepack about where to look for help and community.

If you're an old salt on this group, you might recall that part of my experiment with the piecepack has been to remain hands-off.  Also, I am quite lazy.  But I would be happy to assist with an effort to shift conversations (and any file content worth salvaging) to another platform if we could come to consensus on one.

One more thing:  Although I don't express it often, please know that I do appreciate the interest and participation of every one of you.  Pleased as Punch, truly.  (Thank you, everyone!)

And to address a misconception in the Reddit thread:  No, Mesomorph Games is not involved in this Yahoo group, except as a normal member.  Mesomorph does, however, own piecepack.org.  (Thank you, Dave!)

And for clarity, the administration of the piecepack wiki (www.ludism.org/ppwiki/) is the volunteer effort of Ron Hale Edwards.  (Thank you, Ron!)

And the recent Infinite Boardgame was written by W. Eric Martin.  (Thank you, Eric!)

And the mobile piecepack app was written by Jorge Arroyo.  (Thank you, Jorge!)

And many others through the years have contributed in countless ways.  (Thank you, many others!)

Would anyone like to express how and where you would like to see the piecepack community gain cohesion?  Or if you're happy with things here on Yahoo, it would be nice to hear that too.

--James