Re: The Green box of Games Kickstarter was funded at 544%

One of things I like about the Green Box of Games is that the icons aren't strictly defined, and lend themselves to being different things.  I can't really think of a great term for it, but I'm thinking something like themed abstract.

The icons definitely match each other in style - but what are they exactly?  Is the #6 icon a Tree, an Arrow, a Light pole?  Is the #3 icon the end of three Logs, three Tires?  a Storm system seen from space?  3 Targets?  It all depends on the game.

I made up a game for the GBoG called "Gear Head" in which all the icons are parts of a car.  I am not sure I did the greatest job in theming the parts (the #6 was a "Shifter" - which kind of works, but there's probably a better use for it).

Another advantage is it's based on 6 instead of 4.  This allows for a wider range of things to be done.

Keep in mind, I'm not bashing the Piecepack, and I know there are other variants - so you could combine the standard piecepack with the Suits piecepack to get 6 suits (or the Seasons one).  And there's a Hexpack.

I also know the Piecepack has been around much longer and has many more games than the GBoG - and more community support.  However, I don't think it's a competition.

Having the GBoG opens up new ways of playing.  It's just another tool to add to the mix.  Not only do I own the Very First Edition - and have Kickstarted the Second to None Edition. It also inspired me to buy a huge box of colored cubes to add more possibilities - and a bunch of discs (specifically Bingo counters) to add another dimension.

I think it could be used in tandem with other game systems like the Piecepack or the Rainbow Deck or Looney Pyramids.  That's what I plan to do anyway.  :)

- Chad W. Smith