Need Help with Hanging Gardens Rule

Designers,

The Roundhouse Gamers have been testing a piecepack
ruleset called Hanging Gardens, and it's well oiled all but one
sticking spot.  I'm looking for suggestions to knock this last bit of
rust off.

I'll post full rules later (after they're written up formally) but here's
the basics:  dump a whole piecepack on the table, take turns
placing any two pieces, game ends when all pieces are played,
then players count their scores.  The gardens are built from
terraces (face down tiles, 2x2 spaces showing) and platforms
(face up tiles), first with terraces flat on the table, then two
platforms topped with a terrace to go "up" a level.  There's no
fixed board; players stack levels as they desire.  Plant beds are
represented by coins (suit/color side up), one per space.  Pawns
stand for gazebos/cupolas from which the gardens are viewed
(one per player).

The trouble takes place during scoring.  As part of scoring, you
need to be able to determine with certainty which plant beds can
be seen from a particular gazebo, given intervening obstructing
levels (plateaus).  How do we construct a clean,
easy-to-apply-and-remember rule for:
1)  Determining if a plateau is obstructing your view, regarding
line of site in the X and Y plane.  That is, how do you define the
line of site from overhead (bird's eye view).
2)  Determining if a plateau is obstructing your view, regarding
line of site in the Z axis.  That is, how do you define the line of
site as seen from the side of the board.

Some suggestions that have been put forth:
1)  string
2)  eyeball it (put your eye next to the pawn)
3)  have players vote
4)  [courtesy Dave Boyle] for Z axis visibility [assuming gazebo
viewing height is 1 level greater than the height of the plateau the
gazebo sits on]... the minimum distance a bed needs to be from
the gazebo is = (height difference between gazebo and bed *
distance from gazebo to plateau) / height difference between
gazebo and plateau

The merits of suggestions #1 and #2 above are that they are
simple and take care of all 3 axes at once, but the trouble is that
they are imprecise (a slight nudge of tiles might change results).
Suggestion #3 seems interesting, but with some groups of
players it would never fly... such players would never vote in favor
of other players.  Suggestion #4 seems to work for determining
obstruction in the Z axis (and is based on the actual geometry of
the situation), and is fairly easy to implement once you get used
to it, but it is difficult to remember and some players would be
put off by the formula; also, it does nothing to solve the problem
in the X-Y plane.

So, is this enough information to obtain a few suggestions?  Let
me know if you need clarification on anything.  I realize it can
sometimes be difficult to grasp the essence of a game without at
least seeing it played, but hopefully you can intuit the essentials.

Thanks,
James