Re: [piecepack] specification changes

Rob (et al),

When we talk about changing the piecepack specification, we should keep some
things in mind.

Any changes are going to be disruptive not only to the people currently
making piecepacks (as far as I know, that's only Mesomorph Games), but also
to anyone trying to get started making sets.  Anyone looking at getting
started who sees the specification as a moving target isn't going to be too
enthusiastic about getting involved.

People are not limited to following the specification to the letter.  If you
think a set with directional pawns that can be inverted and different colors
or symbols would be an improvement, there's nothing to stop you from making
your own piecepack sets.

James can jump in here and correct me if I'm off base, but I don't think
piecepack was ever intended to fill every need in game design.  I believe
the assumption was always there that in certain circumstances you would need
to use outside pieces/props/modifications with the piecepack for certain
games or in certain situations.

As for us personally, we are days away from releasing the second edition of
our piecepack.  We certainly aren't going to go back and make any changes to
the composition at this late date.  When we get to 3rd edition I'm sure that
we will incorporate some suggestions for changes/additions, assuming there
is a solid rational for doing so.

--
David Martin-Boyle
Mesomorph Games