Re: Icehouse patent expiration

--- In piecepack@y..., Ronald Hale-Evans <rwhe@l...> wrote:
> As I mentioned, the Icehouse patent has expired.  Perhaps the
> piecepack specification, version 23.5, will one day incorporate
> Icehouse pieces or something like them.

   Ha ha ha!  Seriously, though, we don't have to wait that long.
The Icehouse pieces themselves are not patented; they are merely
the "preferred embodiment" of the Icehouse game.  Remember that the
Icehouse set was originally designed for use in one, specific game
which itself was called Icehouse.  The patent only protected the way
that game is played, much like WotC's patent protecting Magic: the
Gathering.

   In an article I wrote for Grampa Barmo's Discount Games Magazine
(which you owe it to yourself to subscribe to, IMHO), I mused over
the possibilities created by combining a piecepack with an Icehouse
set.  (Incidentally, I also mentioned combining the piecepack with
chess men, Scrabble tiles, or playing cards.)

Game On,
James