Re: [piecepack] Definitions of Abstract

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 02:41:51AM -0000, david_bruce_cousins wrote:
> > This is somewhat true, IMHO.  However, your game is not an abstract
> > game in the technical sense, because it (1) is for one player, (2)
> > contains chance elements, and (3) contains hidden information.
> > Mathematically speaking, an abstract game is a game for two players
> > with perfect information and no chance elements.
>
> Is that a definition from Game theory?

Yes, combinatorial game theory.  Here's a good article on what
constitutes an abstract game:

  http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/DefiningtheAbstract.shtml

Mark Thompson distinguishes between abstract games and abstract
strategy games, but I have usually heard the two used interchangeably
by knowledgeable people.

I forgot to mention that another requirement for an abstract strategy
game is that the two players take turns alternately, not
simultaneously (as players do in Diplomacy).

Ron H-E

--
         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,