Re: Solo: A solitare game for PP -

--- In piecepack@y..., <hexchex@i...> wrote:
> David
> I have a question, well actually two questions.

> Question One.
> I am not sure what you mean when you say("You may now move a number
of coins from tiles that have multiple coins
> onto an adjacent orthogonal tile that has no coins") as far as
movement direction goes.

You pick a number of coins to reposition (I suggested 4 to start as
that will let you cover up half of the eight uncovered tiles).

You then move coins (one at a time) from any tile which has a stack of
coins onto an empty tile that is next to it (no diagonals). You
probably don't want to move more than one coin to the empty stack, but
that is just a hypothesis of mine. You can move coins from different
tiles.

Here is an example of the rule.
Before: [ 5 3 coins] [ ace 0 coins]
after:  [ 5 2 coins] [ ace 1 coin ]

The intent of this rule was multifold:
- To distribute the coins a bit more across the board without breaking
a simple to remember distribution rule (#-2)
- to let the player adjust the random layout somewhat, giving them
some control to get out of a poor initial layout (though what that
might be is open to interpretation)
- to adjust the difficulty of the game by adjusting the number of
coins you move at the beginning. If you move no coins, then there are
8 spaces that will retire your first pawn. If you move 8 coins you
should be able to cover all the tiles, though there are cases where
that would be impossible ( 5 empty tiles in the shape of a cross comes
to mind).  I haven't figured out what a good starting number was, so I
 split it and suggested 4, and adjust up or down to taste.

Hope that answers the question. Can you propose text to clarify the
rule? Rules are always a balance between verboseness and clarity!

> Question Two
>
> Can you move throught the board on the first version?
> I came across this move while I was playing and there is no legal
move If you can't.

> [ ][ ][ ][ ]
> [ ][ ][ ][ ]
> [ ][5][ ][ ]
> [ ][ ][ ][ ]
> [ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ah the dreaded five! You got it. There is no legal move here. I should
add this case to the section on retiring pawns. My oversight.

Interestingly enough, when you play this a short while, you realize
that legal moves always fall on diamond shapes of increasing size, and
you can quickly recognize when you are stuck.

1:
  []
[]1 []
  []

2:
    []
  []  []
[]   2  []
  []  []
    []
3:

      []
    []  []
  []      []
[]     3    []
  []      []
    []  []
      []
etc.

Fives *are* pretty tough, but I really liked that aspect.
This is also one of the reasons I started fiddling with different
layouts.

> Tim Schutz
>
> Still love the game though. I plan to play it some more.
Thank you very much. That means so much to me. My attitude towards
ideas and designs is summed up in the phrase (SW)^3 N, which
translates to: "Some win, some won't, so what! Next!" . It is great
when one wins (i.e. people like it).

Dave Cousins