Re: [piecepack] Wand of Odin (long)

Let me start by thanking you for your interest and the time you took to
comment.  It's major egoboo for an author to know people are actually
_playing_ his brainchild.  You know I stole the name, right?  :)  Seemed
fair, I'm still looking for my pants.

Yah, I saw that in the original post.

I meant "Don't put the tiles diagonal to the next lowest or highest tile
of their world." Put ^2 beside (N, S, E, or W of) ^1, for instance. And yes, if you wall off ^3, you will have no place to put ^4, unless
you happen to be on another 4 tile when you draw it.  If you aren't,
then although the rules don't say it (not yet), it should become
legendary, and you can place it if and when ^5 gets placed.

Okay. I assume that clarification will make it into the next version.

(As a quick aside, I assume if we remove the ^3 from the example above,
that not only is the above legal, but it is possible for the Questor to
move from Asgard (suns) to Alfheim (crowns) by going from the *4 to the ^2,
but that a moving, woken critter won't do that -- they only change worlds
in the complex of blank tiles.)

Correct, the Quester can move anywhere two tiles touch at a side.  But
as for Critters, they don't only cross worlds in the '0 complex', they
may also jump from their world to another when a world tile is placed
'equal to' the quester's tile. A three beside a three, for instance. If the quester moved just before the tile was placed, the critter
pounces, revealing the path between the worlds.  (If the quester hadn't
moved, the quester discovers the path on their own, and the critter is
asleep.)

Okay, I wasn't clear if only the critters that were put there when you drew a tile with the same number as the tile the Questor is on did that, or all critters. Perhaps another good general note to add to the critters section.

[snip]

The one on the numerically nearest legendary land of the same world, or
the numerically nearest land of any other world, with number of 'steps'
needed breaking ties.

Okay, you may want to formally define "nearest" in the rules somewhere to cover this sort of thing.

Any awakened Critter will pursue until it is slain.  Questers who are
weak in Magic and War make a lot of use of those paths between worlds,
to shake pursuing critters.  :)  But any critter that's asleep, will
remain asleep, unless you attack it with War or Magic, or blow a Stealth
roll where the critter then chooses War or Magic, or steal a Shard.

Said more simply, once you've drawn blood or runes, it's to the death.

So, unless you steal something with Guile, the critter doesn't wake up. Noted.

Well, the Norse mythos is pretty dark, with Fimbulvintr, Ragnorok, and
all that.  But I've always read that eventually Oak and Ash, like Adam
and Eve, will start it all over again.  I _like_ that you'll eventually
get through it.  Well, 624 times out of 625, anyway.  :)  For me, the
fun is in the images I get of conning a Shard from the Niflheimer Master
of War, then running for the nearest path back to Midgard.

Okay. I can respct that. Design intent and all. Some of the card solitaires always resolve as well, and Wand of Odin certainly beats Clock Solitaire any day.

Perhaps
you only get so many "lives" (the traditional "three lives" of a video
game, perhaps, or some number important in Nordic myth) and after the
Questor dies that many times, then the world is swallowed up by chaos.

Well, there are 25 Runes...  :)  But seriously, it's a good option for
folk who want it, and I'll add it to the next revision.  I think I would
make it more of a creeping chaos than a number of quester lives, though.

It doesn't matter to me as long as there's a way to lose. If you can think of a more creative way of doing it, I'm all for it. I just don't like nit-picking stuff without offering suggestions, no matter how lame. ;-)

Just like the birth of such an unfit Quester would, if you couldn't
reincarnate.  And again, I don't think the reincarnating is twinkish, or
at least, nobody's forcing twinkishness.  Play as weak a character as
you think you can win with, you're your own judge; it's a solitaire
game.  The twinks will get the game they deserve; they always do.

I don't think reincarnating is twinkish per se. I'm just sort of amused that the world is in dire trouble, and yet it never actually ends. I suppose there is a sort of metaphore there somewhere...

Thank you very much.  I will try to get a new revision out in a week or
so.

No problem. I revised by review (http://www.rpgnews.com/game.php -- gotta get in that plug) to mention Solo and Wand of Odin.

       -Loki

LOKI?!  :)

College nickname. I roomed with a man by the name of Steve Thorson Little my freshman year of college. He went by "Thor". He was big, blond, Nordic, and totally lacking in common sense. I, well, wasn't any of those things, so, threfore, Loki.

BTW, if you like it, try it with a 9yr-old.  Multiplayer is a hoot.  He
just loves it when he can con all the shards my big brute has gathered. I make him actually come up with a line. My favorite was, "Hey LOOK!"
<pointing past my shoulder>  :)

Heh. I don't have access to a nine-year-old yet, but I'll remember that when my niece gets older. ;-)
	-Loki