Re: pp modifications

How much are the numbered sides of the tiles used?  It has been my impression from the moment I first became acquainted with piecepack that a hexagonal/triagonal grid on one side of the tile (the other side being the current four-square grid) would be more useful.  The situation is that, if you design a game to use the piecepack exclusively, you must either not have a board, or commit the tiles to the board.  I could see a board where the tiles flip over occasionally, but I can't see why they would do so in any reasonable situation.  I.e. the grid side hides no "surprises," so you would be flipping to get the number.  (Why wouldn't you just mark the tile with a suit side up coin or roll a die to get that number?)

Keep in mind, this isn't a criticism, and I realize that some game designs probably use the tiles as cards or numbered side up in boards.  I am just curious what others thing about the maximum usefulness of these elements of the pack.