Re: pp modifications

Jim wrote: I wonder if one could design a set with a triangle on the numbered side, with the number still in the middle of it.

Yar!  What a good idea.  If you made fairly large hexes, with a number in the center hex, and also put the suit symbol on the reverse at the intersection of the +, you would accomplish at least three things.  1, you would add a hex board.  2, you would add a tri-board - play a hex board on the intersections and movement is prescribed in three directions as if the board were a triangular grid.  3, you would create a new dimension to the plain square grid (i.e. you would have spaces, but also designated 'points' for creating bases, safe zones, whatever).  If a game worked reticularly (off the points) on the grid, there would be a macro grid of suit symbols and a microgrid of points.  Neat.  I wonder if the number ought also to go on the grid side (in a corner square perhaps?)  These numbers could play into movement costs and such, if one weren't using them for randomization.

I will definitely have to work this up and see how it plays out.  If I modify the piecepack pdf files and find them useful, I'll post them at the group site so others can play around.  The real risk, though, is that the 'medium' could get fragmented.  I mean the value of a 'piecepack' style game system is the community of games built on its basic form.  We are talking about altering its basic form somewhat radically (though it's all 'addition' and not 'substitutionary' development).

Troy Holaday
Assistant Director of Academic Systems
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306