Re: [piecepack] Re: pp modifications

Troy Holaday wrote:

> Jim wrote: I wonder if one could design a set with a triangle on the
> numbered side, with the number still in the middle of it.
>
> Yar!  What a good idea.  If you made fairly large hexes, with a number
> in the center hex, and also put the suit symbol on the reverse at the
> intersection of the +, you would accomplish at least three things.  1,
> you would add a hex board.  2, you would add a tri-board - play a hex
> board on the intersections and movement is prescribed in three
> directions as if the board were a triangular grid.  3, you would
> create a new dimension to the plain square grid (i.e. you would have
> spaces, but also designated 'points' for creating bases, safe zones,
> whatever).  If a game worked reticularly (off the points) on the grid,
> there would be a macro grid of suit symbols and a microgrid of
> points.  Neat.  I wonder if the number ought also to go on the grid
> side (in a corner square perhaps?)  These numbers could play into
> movement costs and such, if one weren't using them for randomization.
>
> I will definitely have to work this up and see how it plays out.  If I
> modify the piecepack pdf files and find them useful, I'll post them at
> the group site so others can play around.  The real risk, though, is
> that the 'medium' could get fragmented.  I mean the value of a
> 'piecepack' style game system is the community of games built on its
> basic form.  We are talking about altering its basic form somewhat
> radically (though it's all 'addition' and not 'substitutionary'
> development).

It might make more sense to add instead of modify.  Leave the current
tiles alone but add a set of hexagonal tiles with a triangular grid
on one side and a hex grid (7 hexes, 6 around 1) on the other.  Put
the suit/number in the center of the hex side.  Throw in the directional
pawns and we have the first piecepack expansion set.

For a quick way to draw the grids go to www.deja.com search the
rec.games.board group for the subject "Hex Paper" to find a
Postscript file that prints hex grids.

--
Mark Biggar
mark.a.biggar@...