Re: [piecepack] Re: pp modifications

Mark Biggar wrote:

> It might make more sense to add instead of modify.  Leave the current
> tiles alone but add a set of hexagonal tiles with a triangular grid
> on one side and a hex grid (7 hexes, 6 around 1) on the other.  Put
> the suit/number in the center of the hex side.  Throw in the directional
> pawns and we have the first piecepack expansion set.

Adding a hex grid(no information) to the suit/number(information) side
of the existing tiles loses nothing.  Adding numbers to the grid side of
the existing tiles means their identity is no longer completely hidden
when grid-side-up.

A hex grid can be made to tesselate in a square if you stretch it a
bit.  0.868/1 is the ratio.  Probably best to arrange three nearly
complete hexes in the square, so as to allow the hexes to 'hold' things,
like the coins, or pawns, or whatever, even if the tiles aren't beside
one another.  Then the tiles could be individually used to represent
vehicles, or islands, or whatever.

Something like this:  (switch to a non-proportional font)

  ______
 /      \
         \______/
         /      \