Re: [piecepack] Re: boards o' hexes and pp extentions

I do notice alot of extention discussions can get bogged down! Let me play Cassandra here. In my business have a term called second spec bloat. With alot of software specs I've seen, V1.0 is really slick, and leaves you with alot of 'gee WIBNI it had this?' and then everyone gets together and does V2.0, sticks all the bells and whistles in, have pissing contests whern their bell won't go in, and then no one implements the spec because it is WAY to big and bloated!

I tend to agree. However, "expansions" for board games is a long-standing gaming industry tradition, and not just for financial reasons.

Personally, I'd like to see any or all of these changes put forth not as a change to the basic spec (I like the basic spec) but optional expansions that are used in certain games. So, instead of saying you need "one piecpack 2.0" or whatever, you say something like "game needs one standard piecepack, the hexterrain expansion, and a normal deck of playing cards" or "game requires one standard piecepack but is easier to play with the optional hex pawns expansion as well"

For example, it would be simple to produce a "fifth player expansion", which includes the tiles, coins, pawn and die for an "additional suit" for the piecepack, which could be used in some games.

Also, for people who want direction on the pawns, don't underestimate the usefulness of the dice for this purpose. There are several "wood block" wargames based on that concept, and I've seen it in a lot of designs.

These optional expansion/specs would then be listed on the basic piecepack page, perhaps even with additional pdf downloads.
	-Loki