Re: [piecepack] Greetings and hello!

On Monday, April 29, 2002, at 03:01  AM, odbo255 wrote:

*making the usage of the ace symbol consistent (always a spiral or
always the suit [still mulling the consequences of this one over])

If I may comment on this, I think it would be a good idea for the ace to be consistent as well. A suit symbol would be the wrong choice, because that of course ruins the ace coins' ability to hide their suit when viewing the value side. Having ace tiles have a suit in the corner and an ace symbol in the center is preferable to the alternative of having coins which have a suit symbol on both sides. Heck, I think the ace tiles would look better that way.

However, I don't like the spiral as an ace symbol. The spiral is an arbitrary graphical shape, just like the four suit symbols are, so when you first dump your piecepack onto the table and start to sort out the coins, the value-side-up ace coins look like suit-side-down coins, especially when you are a piecepack novice. Since your brain processes written characters differently from meaningless shapes, it would be easier to visually distinguish the value-side coins from the suit-side coins if the ace were a character, such as an "A".

I would hesitate to suggest any functional changes to the piecepack, so what I propose above is merely cosmetic. But IMHO would be a decent improvement in readability of the piecepack.

--
				Karl J. von Laudermann
				karlvonl@...