Re: Color of Numbers on Coins

--- In piecepack@y..., "odbo255" <odbo255@y...> wrote:
> > > that it's
> > > not a
> > >
> > > I agree with this as well - I personally would eliminate black
> > > as a
> > > suit color and retain it for abstract purposes (such as the
> > > value
> > > side of coins).
> >
> > I disagree.  Loss of Black as a suit color could break some
> > existing rules.  Loss of Black as a number color would not.
> > (Unless someone referred to the number color for whatever odd
> > reason, but I can see no such reason.) Better I think to go to
> > outlined numbers (allowing printers to still use black ink, and
> > avoiding a fifth color).
> >

> ahh, yes a much more elegant solution - I like it!

I personally think that the Piecepack would be improved by changing
the black suit to another color.  Traditionally, board games use
black and white when there are only two sides.  Most four-player
board games seem to use the colors red, green, yellow, and blue.  If
these colors were used for the suits, it would be much easier to
incorporate parts from other games into Piecepack games.  Sorry,
Headache, or Candyland pieces could be used as pawns.  Icehouse
pieces could be incorporated.
Even outside the playing pieces games use these colors.  Perhaps a
game could be created that uses Uno or Palabra cards in some way.  I
don't think I could find black poker chips if I wanted to use them in
a game.
This compatibility with other game pieces is more important than
keeping the colors the same.  The specific colors used are not
actually important to gameplay; colors are needed only to provide a
connection between certain pieces within the game.  For example, you
can play poker with an Italian deck that doesn't use the hearts-
diamonds-spades-clubs suits without any troubles.  A flush is still a
hand of all the same suit.  You could even play Hearts.  Just choose
suits to be hearts, spades and clubs.
One possible solution is suggested by Black Ice.  Create additional
suits, one to round out the four-color set and one white suit.  The
four colors would then be a standard set and would match with other
four-color games.  Black and white suits could then be used for two-
player games or to match with chess, checkers, or go pieces.  I guess
this has wandered from the original topic because the problem of the
number colors would still exist.  The outlining suggestion would
still work then.  Hmm.