Ludic Synergy piecepack contest entries

The deadline for entering the Summer 2002 Ludic Synergy piecepack game
design contest has now passed.  There were five entrants, who made
seven entries, six of which were original to the contest.  The theme
of the contest was combining a piecepack set with another game system.
Three of the entries used double-six dominoes, two used an Icehouse
set, one used piecepack pyramids, and one used a Go set.

Alien City, by Michael Schoessow
Uses an Icehouse set

City Planning, by Brad Johnson
Uses a Go set

Dominoids, by Brad Johnson
Uses double-six dominoes

Ley Lines, by James Kyle
Uses double-six dominoes

Magic Mids, by Ken Leyhe
Uses an Icehouse set

Pawns Crossing, by Michael Schoessow and Stephen Schoessow
Uses double-six dominoes

Telic, by Michael Schoessow
Uses piecepack pyramids

You can find PDFs for all seven of the games at the following URL:

  http://www.ludism.org/piecepack/contest200206/

You can read the rules of the contest at the following URL.  (You
don't need to be a member of the piecepack list to read them.)

It is intriguing to me that not only have entrants often chosen to
incorporate the same game system (for example, three people chose
double-six dominoes), but also there is a similarity of theme between
some entries.  For example, two games have a theme of city planning
(Alien City and City Planning), and two games have a theme of a duel
among magic-users (druids in the case of Ley Lines, mages in the case
of Magic Mids).

Marty and I have not played any of the games yet, and I will not state
my opinion of any of the entries yet, except to say that _all_ of them
seem well worthy of trying out, and potentially quite fun.  I hope
people will try playing them even before the winner of the contest is
announced on 13 July.  (I also hope none of the entrants mind my
making their PDF files available at the above URL; the rules did state
that the games must be freely-redistributable.)

I know of at least two games that were planned, playtested, and
intended to be entered into the contest, but due to schedule conflicts
had to be postponed.  I hope that these games will eventually be
announced as well.  (You know who you are, folks.)

Finally, since some of the games use Icehouse pieces, I am CC'ing this
message to the Icehouse list.

Ron Hale-Evans

--
         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,