Re: [piecepack] JCDpiecepack sample

On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 09:44  PM, porter235 wrote:

Features of the JCD piecepack

All Aces rendered as a "swirly"

I've said this before on this list, but I don't like the swirly as an ace symbol. I think it should be replaced with the letter "A", or some other text character. The reason is that often when you first dump the piecepack out onto the table you want to sort out the coins, turning them all face up or face down. Since the swirly symbol is a symbol and not a text character like the numbers, your brain naturally parses that as being a suit symbol, and it takes extra mental effort to recognize the swirlies as value symbols instead. In order to make it easy to visually group the coins by face-up and face-down states, the ace symbol, like all other value symbols, should be a text character, not an arbitrary symbol. So I think it should be changed to the letter "A".

--
				Karl J. von Laudermann
				karlvonl@...