Re: JCDpiecepack sample

--- In piecepack@y..., Karl von Laudermann <karlvonl@r...> wrote:
> On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 09:44  PM, porter235 wrote:

> SNIP!

> I think it should be replaced with the letter "A", or some
> other text character. The reason is that often when you first dump the
> piecepack out onto the table you want to sort out the coins, turning
> them all face up or face down. Since the swirly symbol is a symbol and
> not a text character like the numbers, your brain naturally parses that
> as being a suit symbol, and it takes extra mental effort to recognize
> the swirlies as value symbols instead. In order to make it easy to
> visually group the coins by face-up and face-down states, the ace
> symbol, like all other value symbols, should be a text character, not an
> arbitrary symbol. So I think it should be changed to the letter "A".

Hmmm.. I see your point, very good argument. (By similar reasoning black as a suit colour is a bad choice , that is if you have suit colours at all  :) )

My problem with your argument is soley personal taste. I like the swirly. I think it adds a little character to an otherwise very abstract and "dry" set. At least a deck of cards has the face cards to liven it up. As well, I have seen a few games that have drawn inspiration from the swirly.... mmm.. face cards... maybe I should draw up some face card like pics for the tiles to add some more charcter?