From: Karl von Laudermann [mailto:karlvonl@...]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 12:18 PM
To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [piecepack] Re: Alien City is cool

On Thursday, August 22, 2002, at 02:18  PM, mschoessow wrote:

> Thanks Karl,
>
> How long did your game take?

Not sure, maybe 45 mins.

> A bit of history about the game: it's derived from another game of
> mine called San Jose that I was working on and play-testing when I
> found out about the piecepack game design contest. San Jose is a
> bigger game for up to four players with a bigger board and three
> scoring rounds. The bits are more specific too and I have yet to find
> time to build a good set. Alien City is kind of a streamlined,
> smaller, faster playing version of San Jose for two players. Now I'm
> beginning to wonder if Alien City is the better of the two games.
> It's strange sometimes how game designs evolve in unexpected ways.

I'm not convinced that Alien City can't work with 3 or 4 players. You
just have to divide the pieces up more. Or maybe no one has their own
pieces (other than caps), and you can just draw from a common pool of
all the towers and domes.

This game reminds me of Kingdoms
( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/kingdoms.html).
<http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/kingdoms.html).>  In Kingdoms, you draw
tiles from a common pool, but they're all face down so it's completely
random. You have your own scoring tiles which are played into empty
spaces, rather than "capping" what's on the board. And you score based
on what's in the same row and column as your scoring tiles, rather than
following "roads". But it's the same genre as Alien City.

--
                        Karl J. von Laudermann
                        karlvonl@...