Re: [piecepack] Re: Alien City is cool

On Thursday, August 22, 2002, at 03:44  PM, Michael Schoessow wrote:

You might be right Karl and I admit that I didn't give a lot of thought
into
making it work for three or four players. Your suggestion about common
ownwership is interesting because the progenitor game, San Jose, is more
like that; there are four kinds of buildings in that game but only one
kind
is owned by the players, with the other three starting out in a common
pool.
Also there are no pieces equivalent to the ownership caps that player's
have
in Alien City.  I think the biggest issue for turning Alien City into a
4-player game involve the distribution of the small pyramids (the caps).
Right now we have a total of six of them in the game and this number
seems
to work well. I don't think the number is extremely critical but on the
other hand I would be surprised if 12 (3 per player in a 4-player game)
would work well at all. Possibly eight (2 per player) would work, but
having
only two chances to claim a building seems unattractive somehow.

12 caps might work fine in a 4 player game. You'd only have 2 uncapped
towers at the end, but that's not necessarily bad. Although it would
limit the opportunity to score for uncapped greens.

--
				Karl J. von Laudermann
				karlvonl@...