RE: [piecepack] Re: Alien City is cool

My concern with a high number like 12 is that the competition will always be
so close that the scope for clever placement and timing of caps becomes less
because by the end of the game, as you say, most of the towers will be
capped anyway.
Maybe there could be some advantage to stacking two caps on top of each
other. Players would be restricted to doubling up only their own caps. Or,
caps can be placed as singles or stacked pairs (both placed at once) but
caps could never be placed on other caps placed on previous turns. Doubled
caps would of course need to give some advantage. Perhaps the effect of
doubled caps would be to partially offset the effects of competition
(multiply the distance to the competition by 2?).

Here's another idea: Each player starts with 3 caps (3 or 4 player game) but
the total number of caps that may be placed in a game is 8. Once the eighth
cap is placed players are prohibited from placing more (although the game
continues as far as placement of towers and domes goes).

One more idea: Each player starts with 3 caps (3 or 4 player game) but there
is now a new rule: orthogonally adjacent towers may not both be capped. If
this turns out to be too restrictive, then modify the rule:no more than (x)
pair(s) of orthogonally adjacent pyramids may be capped. All other capped
pyramids must not be orthogonally adjacent to other capped pyramids. Make x
whatever works best abased on play-testing.

Karl, if you try a game with modified rules and three or four players be
sure to post the results.

-Mike