PDFs and "Everest"

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 02:32:21PM -0700, M. Hale-Evans wrote:
> > Please excuese the Word file format, but it contains figures and I
> > currently have no easy way to produce some other format like PDF.
> > If some kind person could convert it to PDF and either upload it or
> > send it to me for uploading, I will be eternaly greatfull.
>
> You can do this yourself, online, for free.  Go to
> http://www.gohtm.com/ and sign up for a free login.  Then follow the
> instructions.  You can convert several file formats (including Word)
> to PDF and/or HTML.

Hmm, I knew Adobe had a service like this; I wasn't aware there was
another one.  Anyway, I have already converted Everest from Word to
PDF using software that came with our GNU?Linux distribution and
uploaded it.

This is probably unnecessary, but as a service to the piecepack
community, I am willing to accept Word files and convert them to PDF,
for anyone who can't use the service Marty mentioned for some reason.
GNU/Linux makes it extremely easy.

When I converted Mark's file, I fixed some page break and margin
issues that probably stem from our having a funky version of Word
(Word 98 for Mac), and also changed the font from Microsoft's
proprietary Times New Roman to plain old Times.  The change in
appearance of the Word doc is minimal, but using standard fonts like
Times instead of proprietary ones can make a big difference in things
like the cross-platform printability of the PDF file, how fast it
loads, its file size (the first PDF I created, with the proprietary
font, was more than triple the size of the one with plain Times), and
in some cases, the readability and attractiveness of the PDF
on-screen.  A word to the wise.

BTW, Mark, I don't usually enjoy Roborally-style games, but this one
looks like it might be fun.  I hope to give it a spin after I try King
Arthur's Court.

         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
Kennexions Glass Bead Game &  Positive Revolution FAQ: http://www.ludism.org/