Mr. Droscha: One More Rules Question

Thank you for helping me to better understand the rules of your
games Silver Isle and Hanging Gardens. I forgot to include one
question about Silver Isle in my original post, however. The rules
state "If a null-value crew is ever involved in a fight, it will be
eliminated whether it is on the winning or losing side." Since the
only way a null-value crew could be on the winning side of an attack
would be when it is part of a larger ship or port crew, does that
mean that if, for example, a ship with crews of 4 and null defeated
a crew of null, the ship would retain the 4 crew, but loses its null
crew, even though 4-0=4, total which could be obtain with or without
the ship's null-value crew? Likewise, if a ship with a crew of 4 and
null defeated a crew of 2, the 4 crew would be replaced with a 2
crew, while the ship's null crew and the defeated 2 crew would both
be removed. Is this correct? Again, thank you for your help.

Mike