Re: [piecepack] Definition of flicking in glossary

James K Droscha wrote:
> --- In piecepack@y..., Mark Biggar <mark.a.biggar@a...> wrote:
>
>>I just noticed that the Glossary file on www.piecepack.org already
>>contains a definition of the term "flick":
>>
>>  v. to move a coin or other component using one's finger; to flick
>>properly, the tip of the finger should begin on the table, and the
>>motion of the finger should cause the fingernail to strike the edge
>>of the coin.
>>
>>I'm not sure that this is the best definition we could have, but
>>it's what we currently got.
>

>    Probably should be more of a push than a strike.  Feel free to
> rewrite the def as desired and let me know what the concensus is;
> we'll get it changed in the glossary.  My only conviction is that the
> thumb should not restrain and then release the finger... it should
> merely be the motion of a single finger with no other digits involved.

There is my shot at a definition.

Definitions

Flick

v. to propel or launch a game piece/token over the game
board/surface/area using an impulse provided by a single finger.

A flick is not a sustained push, but a sudden impulse.  A proper flick
is performed by resting a single fingertip on the game surface with the
fingernail against the game piece, propelling it away with a sudden
snap.  The snap can be the result of either the sudden straightening of
the finger with the hand held motionless or by the sudden snap of the
whole hand at the wrist with the arm held motionless.

Flicking Game

n. a game where the principle method of moving pieces is to flick them
with a finger.

--
Mark Biggar
mark.a.biggar@...