Re: [piecepack] Re: Definition of flicking in glossary

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 03:49:49AM -0000, James K Droscha wrote:
> --- In piecepack@y..., Mark Biggar <mark.a.biggar@a...> wrote:
> > Flick
> >
> > v. to propel or launch a game piece/token over the game
> > board/surface/area using an impulse provided by a single finger.
> >
> > A flick is not a sustained push, but a sudden impulse.  A proper flick
> > is performed by resting a single fingertip on the game surface with the
> > fingernail against the game piece, propelling it away with a sudden
> > snap.  The snap can be the result of either the sudden straightening of
> > the finger with the hand held motionless or by the sudden snap of the
> > whole hand at the wrist with the arm held motionless.
> >
> > Flicking Game
> >
> > n. a game where the principle method of moving pieces is to flick them
> > with a finger.
>
> Groovy, daddy-o.  Any objections before I bank this in the ol' tome o' vocab?

I've cleaned up some typos and redundancies.  How's this?

*****

flick

v. to propel a game piece (such as a piecepack coin) across the
playing area with a single finger.  A flick is not a sustained push,
but a sudden snap.  A proper flick is performed by resting a single
fingertip on the playing surface with the fingernail against the game
piece, then either (1) straightening the finger with the hand held
motionless, or (2) straightening the whole hand at the wrist with the
arm held motionless.

flicking game

n. a game where the principal method of moving pieces is to flick them.

*****

Also, Marty and I noticed James made two salient points that are not
in the definition:

1. "Probably should be more of a push than a strike."

2. "My only conviction is that the thumb should not restrain and then
release the finger... it should merely be the motion of a single
finger with no other digits involved."

Comments?  And BTW, what is the copyright/license status of the
Glossary?

Ron H-E

--
         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,