Re: New game: Piecepack Subways

> Speaking of flaws ;-)
>
> Tried it out 4-handed solitaire as a dry run last night.  Ran into
an
> interesting problem, the game never ends.  As all information
is public,
> specifically the amount of money and loans each player has,
no player
> will be willing to build the last track segment or connect his last
> station, if he is behind in the cash race.  So if the top two
players
> have runs that produce the same amount (probably in a cycle
of turns),
> then you can get into situation where the only correct action on
each of
> thier turns is the operate their train to jump over the other
player
> and take the cash lead, the other player's only rational choice
is to
> do the same on his turn.  You need some other event that ends
the game
> that is not under the player's complete control, e.g., a finite
bank
> like in 1830 where when the bank is out of money the game is
over.
> Another possibility is to give the player that connects his last
station
> a free operating round as part of that turn or add some other
part to
> the final score (like an evaulation of the worth of a players
network,
> score = money - loans + (# stations * value of best run)) to give
> incentive to end the game.

Yes, you figured it out. And my new scoring will make the game
end - in fact it is very close to your recommendation, being
money - loans + (#stations connected together * total value of
your districts).

That gives an incentive to build a bigger network and actually end
the game.  Of course a player couuld still build a small profitable
route and try to outpace an expanding network.

The other change I may make is during setup - players may not
place their second station in a district that is adjacent to their first
station.

New rules coming soon, with altered New York, London and
Paris scenarios.

Phillip