Re: Piecepack subways

> Hi Phillip, it's looking a lot better.
>
> Two quick comments:
>
> 1.  The wording in the real city variants (specifically London is
worst)
> still imply that building track cost money as part of tunnel
building.
> You might want to pull the whole discussion of tunnel building
out as a
> preface to the city variant sections.  A blowup diagram showing
two
> tiles with a tunnel between would also help.
>
> 2. Think about making track cost $1 (then a tunnel costs the
station +
> $2). as it is you may have broken the tradeoff consideration
between
> building through someone elses station and building around
it.  This
> is something that probably needs playtesting the figure out.
>
> BTW, I'm fooling around with a LA map where you have to build
tunnels
> through the Santa Monica mountians to get the the San
Fernando Valley.
> It's a pseudo-hex grid all over to get the shape right.

Aaaarrrgghhh!  I always do that - fix one bit then forget it relates to
something else.  I will have to think about the tunnel stuff, since it
now is totally murky.  And I know that diagrams will help, but they
take a lot of effort and I wanted to wait until I knew the rules
wouldn't change too much before doing them.  So i will be giving
the tunnel rules some consideration over the weekend.  Perhaps
the best way (since I have limited tunnels to a max of 1 in any
given game) they should always be marked (and therefore paid
for) with the 5 station, making them as expensive as possible.  In
actual fact I need to do as you suggest - tunnel rules as a
generic addition under city variants since most of them have
tunnels.

I think your pseudo-hex idea is an excellent one - I was messing
about with some different 5x5 shifted hex cities.  They will make
their way into the rules eventually.  And I used a tiny overlap in
Amsterdam and Paris.  Can't wait to see your LA!!  There aren't
really any other cities that I know well enough that are interesting
enough.... although maybe I should try Cape Town with Table
Mountain in the middle in some way.

On a side note, I realized that you can play a version of
Transamerica very easily with a piecepack set.  No doubt
copyright issues abound there ;)  I'll post my thoughts on
Transpiecepack later.

Phillip