Re: [piecepack] Re: piecepack.org -Ideas

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 08:50:47PM -0000, Benedict wrote:
>> What if you design your really good games AFTER you're profiled as
>> Designer of the Month? Then the piecepackpublic might miss out on
>> hearing about your good games.
>
> Well, that depends on what you consider to be a good game -
> what if that person produces enjoyable games you want to play
> every once ina  while but never produces a masterpiece?

The same considerations apply whether you're Reiner Knizia or Joe
Schmoe.  A lot of Knizia's early games are so-so, while his later ones
are really good.  A lesser designer might produce some really crappy
games to start off, then some moderately good ones later on.
Profiling Joe early in his "career" would only showcase his crappy
games.

The late Sid Sackson (sniff) would seem to have been an exception;
some of his earliest published games, such as Focus, are among his
best.  But he actually designed games from early childhood.  I bet
there were unplayable games among his juvenilia.

Admittedly, someone who has only written crappy games so far is less
likely to be profiled as Designer of the Month!  But if you've run out
of other designers -- ?

> And why should there be anything to stop someone from being designer
> of the month frequently?.... (if you were DotM in Feb, then produced
> a masterpiece in May, what would stop you being profiled in July?).

Well, then, all bets are off.  I was assuming you could only be DotM
once to avoid accusations of favouritism.  But I guess under the GotM
system, people could complain that certain designers' games were
getting chosen too often...  It's hard to be Karol and Dave!  :-)

BTW, I liked the typo (?) in the subject line of your next message:
"gfame".  15 minutes of gamefame!

I think I've had enough input on this subject for now, so I will quiet
down and await more discussion from the 112 other members of this
list. :-)

         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
Kennexions Glass Bead Game &  Positive Revolution FAQ: http://www.ludism.org/