Re: Exactly my Point

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "porter235 <porter235@y...>"
<porter235@y...> wrote:
(snip)

> If you like, I'm even willing to produce a blank "templated"
version
> of JCD piecpack if you want. Throw your own symbols in and away
you
> go... of course it will only work with other people using a
> JCDpiecepack... which as far as I know is currently only me... and
> soon a friend in town.

(snip)

Actually, I am in the process of converting my piecepacks into the
JCD set. (6 piecepacks converted, 2 to go!) The only modification is
that I'm preserving the tile backs, which don't have the alternating
black/white the way the JCD set does. The way you've designed the
tile fronts are perfect for when I need the alternate black/white;
and with 8 piecepacks (which will translate as 4 JCD sets), I have
enough tiles to form any size board I need.

Because of the JCD tile facing design with the borders, I was able
to create a set of Zoki tiles by using colored markers to make my
lines. The markings are unobtrusive enough to be ignored when
playing non-Zoki games.

The advantages the JCD provides:

* excellent black/white contrast in suit design. This allows, for
example, the ability to build boards with alternate black/white
squares. The contrast works well with the coins as well, though
actually hinders their use as reversi pieces. My own advanced coins
work well for reversi, since one side is blank.

* adds 4 extra suits for a total of 8.

* adds suit dice

* not sure how I'll use them, but adds stars. I've put them on
wooden circles with white on one side and black on the other.

* provides a facing indicator on barrel pawns (I use the belts).
Actually, since my pawns are in 4 colors (x 8 piecepacks), I've
distributed the belts so that each color has all 8 JCD suits (e.g.:
red crown, red arm, red sun, red moon, red heart, red diamond, red
spade, red club).

Disadvantages:

* No association of the suits with colors. Perhaps the JCD set could
provide the color in the border areas?

Anyhoo, just wanted to let you know someone out here is using your
set.

David