New City for 3?

I was wondering if there any reason that New City could be
played by 3 players with the following minor adjustment to layout:

Instead of 4 city areas there will be 3, arranged around a
triangular central.  The left hand 'side' of a player's districts is
adjacent to the right hand side of the opponent on his/her left,
and the right hand 'side' of a player's districts is adjacent to the
left hand side of the opponent on his/her right.  Play is for the 4
player game in all other aspects.

I haven't scoured the rules for a reason this would not work, but it
seems like it would.  It doesn't give quite the nice rectangular
symmetry of the 2 and 4 player game, but each player does
influence the other two.

Phillip