Re: piecepackplus

If I can "pipe up" here.  As my name is attached to the pp+ design, I
thought I might be able to make some comments; more in explanation
than defense!

First some background: I did not know about the mailing list at the
time I wrote pp+, or I would probably would have sent it in for
comment and suggestion.  As I was careful to explain, it's just a set
of ideas for use "as and when" and *not* (must I repeat that?  NOT)
a "challenge" or "replacement" for the original.

It seems to me that, in the world of game designs, there is a
distinct tendency to treat the original version as the "wholey
grail".  A recent suggestion on the IceHouse mailing list for a
pyramid modification nearly caused the sky to fall down.  I have seen
this approach too, for commercial board games - no matter what
the "state" of the original (from nearly perfect to nearly playable),
the approach from the gaming community can be broken into two
it that way", and "Well, that's fun, but wouldn't it be cool to try
this..."

Well, I am a tinkerer or, maybe more accurately, a frustrated game
designer.  I do not see games in the same light as books - done once
and never to be changed.  They are more like works-in-progress... a
commercial case-in-point is Avalon Hill's "Third Reich" which went
through any number of versions, plus two major "issues" (and I think
there is a third?) - and that was just from the designer!!  So, no,
games are not perfect (except, perhaps, Go) and so are open to
reinterpretation.  All of this does not mean the original is not
fun/playable etc etc.

And so to piecepack - a great and simple design ... well, some
IceHouse purists tend not to think so (but lets ignore that view
here).  Can they be modified - yes.  Should they be modified - ah,
well, we're back to the "wholey grail".  Piecepack is "sufficient and
good" to accommodate any number of game designs without adding
anything to it.  What happens if you *do* add something to it - well,
there are probably other designs one can then create.  Is
one "better" than the other... no, I think not.

As for the specific "objections" to pp+.  I believe most of them are
only relevant if you view piecepack as the "wholey grail".  But I
will try and answer the ones that made sense, as best I can.

1. "PP+ is fine, if it stands alone. But the very name begs
comparison, and invites confusion. "

The name, well, its fairly irrelevant what its called - its NOT
a "version 2.0" or any such thing like it.  I picked "plus" because I
thought it made a nice alliteration, and it succinctly described the
fact that I was *adding on* to the original.  If you would be less
confused if it was called something like "Against The Grain", well,
OK?!  The comparison would still be made, however.

2. "It sounds like it's 'more piecepack' but it breaks
the prexisting spec."
  and
"Does it (the change) in any way remove any existing function? If so,
don't make the change. This one's binary. Don't break it."

I am not sure what you mean here by 'spec'?  If you mean "any
suggestion that chnages any part of the design, based on a full and
completely legalistic reading of the web page" then, sure,
it 'breaks' that.  What it does *not* do is break the piecepack
concept or functionality.  It's simply adding some options to the
original, and so any games designed for pp can be played with pp+
(and I did actually point this out on the website).  For myself,I
thought the additions were relatively minor.

3. "Unlike the PP+ plans for adding counting tokens, the hexgrid
tilefaces aren't neatly
obviated by the presence of note paper."

Well, I think the presence of notepaper says that something is
missing and, no, I don't think notepaper is a "neat" solution at all
(assuming that we are even talking about the same problem).  There
are not a few boardgames that use money, or some form of counting,
and I would say its a valid area that cannot easily be simulated in
pp as it stands.  But, of course, this is missing the real point.
Numbers are just symbols, after all, and such tokens can be used for
any number of other purposes.  Not to mention that the chip
themselves are open to all kinds of uses.  The chips design is
certainly an area where I would have welcomed some suggestions as to
what are "good" numbers are to have on them, or how many altogether
are sufficient, and so on.

4. "I think the PP+ page best serves the piecepack community as a
signpost, warning us not to go there."

Ouch, that seems a little harsh, given the very arbitrary and limited
criticisms that were actually raised.  If pp+ is a signpost - and it
certainly wasn't intended as such! - it more a signpost saying; if
you go down this side orad, you might find some interesting things to
explore.  Of course, if you are not an explorer by nature, and prefer
the comfort of the highway, then don't go down there.  But, please,
don't scoff or mock the side roads just for being there.

I love participating in on-line communities ... but I am always wary
of "prophets" who stand up and say to the community "look - heresy! -
avoid him/her/that like the plague".

5. "One good thing about PP+: it uses the relatively standard symbols
of playing card suits and a 'star', which as the author observes,
spares a maker from scrounging for graphics."

Yes, since writing this page, IcePack games have taken this idea
through to a commercially available version, saving the DIY-
challenged among us from even that effort. OTOH, there are others who
believe that the pp symbols are an indivisible part of the "wholey
grail" and so even this suggestion smacks of "heresy".  Each to his
own, I would say.  Bear in mind that pp+ can be played with any set
of symbols you desire, *including* the original ones (with, of
course, a 5th suit of some sort).

All comments about pp+ aside, I do think that there is a bigger
universe of "universal board game systems" which piecepack is
inviting us to explore. It does seem though, unfortunately, that this
forum is *not* the place to do it.  Which is a pity.

Derek